Frequently Asked Questions

Q1. Are we still able to live in our home during the construction of our extension?

In most cases yes, however this is dependent on the size and complexity of the project.

Q2. How long will the construction of our extension/renovation take?

We will advise you of the construction time in your quote. Generally, three (3) to eight (8) months depending on the size and complexity of the project.

Q3. Can you design and build an extension to blend in with our existing home? Or alternatively can you completely update or change the look of our existing home?

Yes we can build your new extension or renovation to blend in with the architecture of your existing home. Alternatively we can completely change the look and turn this into a modern and contemporary home or into a traditional period style masterpiece.

Our building designer will work with your tastes and needs, or alternatively you can supply your own designs.

Q4. What is a P.C or prime cost item?

A prime cost item is item or items e.g. kitchen and appliances, bathroom fixtures such as toilets, baths, and electrical fittings such as light fittings etc which have not been selected at the time of signing the contract.

The builder will make a reasonable allowance for these items in the contract for the supply and installation of these items. The prime cost allowance is detailed separately in the contract but is still included in the contract. Once the cost has been established the contract is adjusted accordingly via a credit or an extra. Alternatively the client can supply the items.

Q5. What is a provisional sum?

A provisional sum is an estimate of the cost of carrying out of a particular work which includes the labour and materials to complete the work for which the builder, at the time of signing the contract, cannot give a definite cost.

An example would be excavation to a difficult site.

Q6. What is BASIX?

Building and Sustainability Index, Basix is a NSW Government initiative for extensions, renovations and new homes to include cost effective and practical measures to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and portable water consumption and improve thermal comfort. The building designer will incorporate these measures into the design.

About the Building and Sustainability Index:

Q7. What is Home Owners Warranty Insurance and what does it cover?

Home Owners Warranty Insurance is insurance a builder must take out to cover the home owner for all projects valued at $20,000 or more.

Home Building Compensation Insurance: .

Q8. What other insurances does a builder require?

Any business or builder that employs people requires Workers Compensation insurance to cover the workers against injury whilst at work.

Builders also require Public Liability Insurance which provides cover to a set or stated limit for when they are legally liable to third parties for personal injury, including death, or damage to property as of an occurrence connected with their business.

Please follow the links for more information.

Workers Compensation Insurance:

Public Liability Insurance  and Contract Works Insurance: .


Contract Works insurance is insurance obtained by the builder to cover the loss or damage to materials and works caused by storms, fires, malicious damage and theft for example.

Q9. What type of contract is used?

We use Master Builders Association and or Housing Industry Association contracts.

Building Contracts and Consumer Building Guide: .

Q10. Do we pay a deposit? And how much?

Yes. The deposit paid is 10% of the contract sum for any contract over $20,000 or 10% for any contract under $20,000 as set out by legislation.

Q11. When are progress payments made?

Progress payments are made at intervals during the construction .Depending on the size and duration of the project, this will depend on how many and at what stage each progress payment is made.

Progress intervals and the percentage of each progress payment are outlined in detail in your contract.

Q12. What is a variation?

Variations are when, after signing the contract the client requests additional work to the project; changes that will have an impact on the contract sum; or council or other regulatory authority requests for unforeseen works or changes that may impact the contract sum.

Q13. Are you a member of an industry association?

Yes we are a member of the Housing Industry Association NSW HIA

and The Master Builders Association NSW)

Q14. Are you able to design and build based on our sites Bushfire Attack level (BAL) rating?

Yes we can design your extension or new build based on your sites BAL rating and incorporate the necessary fire rated materials and construction techniques into the design.

Q15. Will you build a home that we have designed independently of your designs or building designer.

Yes we are more than happy to provide you with a quote using your own plans.

Q16. What areas do you work in?

We work across the greater Sydney metropolitan region, the Southern Highlands, the greater Blue Mountains, Central Coast and Illawarra.